Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Great Easter Quake Follow-up

I think we must have had at least 50 quakes since the "big one." Every
so often everything begins to shake. Fortunately, it does not last long but you never know if its going to be another huge one. I think the worst part of this is the fact that everything is closed. Gas stations have lines that extend out into the streets and stores are shut down because of damage, etc. I am on Spring break and cannot do simple things like go to Home Depot to get things for the house, etc. I am sure its only for a few days now. Its not like we live in Haiti and
have to live in tents (although this town comes awfully close). I was thinking this morning--I wonder how Best Buy looks? Can you imagine how everything is off the shelves and crushed? I have yet to go to my office to see the damage there. I have shelves and file cabinets full of music and so many things hanging on the walls, I dread having to go there and see what I have to clean. I will let you all know if it is bad. I will even send pictures for your enjoyment. Roads are closed because of sink holes and even part of I-8 is one lane because of damage. It really is not as bad as it seems but the fact that it happened is intriguing enough. Meredith is feeling afraid because of Aidan and the fact that earthquakes really scare her. I empathize with her but I feel a bit cooped up in that she wishes I forgo my trips to the gym alone so I can burn off the flab that accumulates from sitting on my ass all day. When we do have to go out, she insists that we all go together. It's kind of sweet in a way but can be a bit overbearing. Seriously, its not that dire and regardless of what the news says (if they say anything since I have yet to watch it), its very mild and over exaggerated. Its more of a novelty than anything. Meredith asked Aidan if he liked the earthquake and of course he responded with a resounding "yes." I would agree because it was like a roller coaster without the loops. Things are getting back to normal and the aftershocks are becoming so regular that its almost expected. As soon as the DirecTV guy comes out on Thursday, I will feel whole again (I think our dish got a bit out of alignment). I ramble and carry on because of the uniqueness of the situation. It almost feels like Beaumont after that hurricane that closed so many things (I forget which one it was). I know that no one is really concerned and fears for our safety but since I like these kind of phenomenon, I thought I would share the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment